Tuesday, August 20, 2013

#BlogElul Count

I'm not a huge fan of counting. Counting down, counting days, counting money, counting blessings. I'm not a huge fan of numbers in general and having to keep account of...everything. I often find that things don't add up--usually because I mix up my numbers (but only rarely my metaphors).

However, for all of my disdain for counting and numbers (especially finance/accounting), I like knowing that there are a few people out there that I can genuinely count on. Those are the people who I can call at 1 a.m., 7 a.m., 3 p.m. (some of us work!) and know that they'll always answer the phone. They're the people who make sure that the birthdays are worth celebrating and the holidays are worth vacationing for. They're the people that sometimes just know, even without you vaguebooking or texting sad emoji that something's wrong...and they call you out on it.

I've been lucky enough in my life to always have a small series of friends that fit those characteristics--even if some of the friendships have faded with the allures of adulthood, those people helped make me who I am today...just by knowing that we could count on each other through the flirting, the hookups, the questions, the failed tests, the college admissions, the GRE/GMAT exams, the college rejections, the headaches, the heartaches, and the happy times that preceded them all.

So I don't waste time counting blessings--but I do let myself know how blessed I am--due to that small number (some changing, some permanent, some lifelong) of friends that I've been able to count on--who are priceless. Not that I'm keeping score (or count!).

No comments:

Post a Comment